Memorandum from the Palestinian civil society
The right of return is a natural and legal right
It’s an individual and collective right
No one has the authority to give up it
The statements that were made by Mr. Mahmoud Abbas to an Israeli TV, raised wide political and media sensation among the Palestinian refugees on Friday 02/11/2012, since being associated with the right of return of more than 6 million Palestinian refugees displaced by the Zionist gangs in 1948. Abbas said, to some international news agencies, "I have visited Safed once before. But I want to see Safed. And my right to see it not I live in," and also added "" Palestine for me is the 1967 borders and the east Jerusalem is its capital, this is Palestine, I am a refugee and live in Ramallah .. Lands the West Bank and Gaza is Palestine, other parts are of Israel. "
According to this the statements that had made by Mr. Mahmoud Abbas which associated to the fate of more than 6 million Palestinian refugees, and the fact that Mr. Mahmoud Abbas is the head of the Palestine Liberation Organization, more over he at the same time he is president of the Palestinian Authority and Fateh Movement (there is a real risk that affect directly the right of return of the Palestinian refugees.
We are as Palestinian civilian’s society deplores these disturbing statements and emphasize the following:
- The right of return is a natural legal right in addition it is an individual and collective right, which had enshrined in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights of 1948 and the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights of 1966 and enshrined in international humanitarian law, particularly the Fourth Geneva Convention of 1949.
- The right of return falls within the peremptory norms of international law that cannot be waived by any agreement or understanding, regardless to whom signed.
- The seriousness of the statements made by Mr. Mahmoud Abbas lies in the fact that he is the Chairman of the Palestine Liberation Organization not a normal person, which holds the Palestinian people the seriousness and the consequences of these statements.
- The right of return is clear and is enshrined in the international law and other various international resolutions, but such statements from an official Palestinian personality wastes this the right.
- More than 6 million Palestinian refugees dream of the day to return to their towns and villages that displaced them forcibly by the criminality of the Zionist gangs in 1948, and they offered thousands of martyrs, wounded and prisoners in order to return. They are still living in camps that witness the pain of Nakba and its suffering, and wish to get rid from displacement and its bitterness.
- We ask Mr. Mahmoud Abbas to address the Palestinian people's by televised speech and retract of these statements, and to confirm what his nation believes during the day and night that the right of return is inevitable and will happen no matter how long the years, dignified return to the towns and villages that abandoned in 1948.
Palestinian civil society in Lebanon and abroad
- Center for the rights of refugees/Aidoun
- Palestinian Association for Human Rights (witness)
- Inhabitant Committees in Lebanon
- Palestinian Engineers Society In Lebanon
- Human Development Center
- Thabit organization for the right of return
- Palestinians Teachers Association In Lebanon
- Laji net.
- Isra Association for Social Development